Monday, August 4, 2008

16th Anniversary of our first date

Bridey and Jeremy in January 1993

Today is the 16 year anniversary of the day that started it all. August 4, 1992. I was playing the piano--something sad and dramatic, probably "On my Own" from Les Miserable--and sulking about the fact that even though I had been sixteen and allowed to date for two whole weeks, my poor little self was STILL alone. (Sooo Pathetic) Before my birthday I had dates to prom that I had to turn down, teenage admirers gallore in want of my attention, and the day I was finally legal to go out with them, there was nobody. This is the setting for our little scene:
Amanda came into inform me that Jeremy Church was on the phone for me. I gave her a dirty look and continued to play for another 3 minutes before she came back and said "Jeremy is really on the phone. Aren't you coming?" I of course went into the kitchen where the incredibly adorable and popular 18 year old tease from church was there on the phone asking little old ME on a date. My scream was so loud when I hung up, that my parents made me promise I would never yell like that again unless someone was very, very hurt.

We saw a "A League of their Own" at Mountain Green center, wandered around a drug store waiting for the movie to start, and ate Jelly Bellies. Within three dates, we were inseparable.

Those first few months were a magical prelude to our life together. So far it has included writing through his mission, a temple marriage, two University degrees, a year of graduate school, Paramedic School, our own business, too many moves to count (and thats just this year), and last and most glorious, five beautiful children. We've squeezed a heck of a lot of life into 16 years.

Jeremy, thank you for putting up with me all these years. It just keeps getting better. Thank you for making my life full of magic and love. I love you Forever.

BYU Homecoming Fall 1995


The photo from our wedding announcement
September 1995


I have surprisingly few photos of us together before Jeremy's Mission.
Do any of you family members have any? I went through all of Mom's during that time period. She doesn't have anything.

6 comments:

The Brown Family said...

That was such a good story I got excited with the phone call and so forth. Congrats with all that has taken place, you're family is so sweet!

Anonymous said...

Cute story.Did you both go to BYU? I thought it was funny when you didn't believe Amanda about the phone call. So you two have been together most of your lives.

Brittany said...

Okay, I have a confession to make. It's about a photo from that BYU homecoming. There was one on the visor of Mins (the minivan) for YEARS. Probably two, actually, but life goes slow for teenagers. The picture had been in the sun so much that it's was cracked and quite ugly. One day I was driving up Claremont Blvd with the window open, and the wind sucked the photo out of the window and it was never seen again. Hopefully you had another copy. But that wasn't from before his mission. I'll have to check about that.

I remember that day Jeremy called you for a date. I was upstairs in my room and suddenly I heard you screaming over and over again (I think you were saying, "I got a date!" but I didn't realize it until later) Then I heard Dad yelling. I thought something awful had happened, and found it very funny that it was about getting a first date. I also remember hearing your screaming when you found out Jeremy was going to be home from his mission a few weeks before he was expected: "I only have three days to lose weight!!!"

You guys are great. I love you together.

Brittany said...

By the way (to finish that last comment), you probably only weighed 113 pounds.

The Kjars said...

oh my gosh bridey. I miss you guys so much just seeing pictures of you makes me want to tear up. I drove by your old house the other day and there were kids out on the lawn playing. My heart leapt for just a second because I think I had a glimmer of hope that they were your kids. *Sigh* but they weren't, sadly. come home. please? I need my family back!

Me, myself, and I said...

wow! time fly's...thanks for the trip back in time for me!